Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Top Ten Books I'd Play Hooky With


Top Ten Books I’d Play Hooky With
by Kayla

Since I am not in school, I have decided to list the books that I would want to throw down my review books to pick up again or for the first time. The top row (#1-5) are the ones that I would like to reread, and the bottom row (#6-10) are the ones that I wish I had the time to get my hands on immediately. The list is much longer than these, but it is the top ten after all. Do you want to know a secret? I got a great idea from Cassi the Galavanting Girl Scout – I’m taking a month off to read nothing but what I want to read. No, I’m not saying that I don’t want to read my review books – I’m saying that I want to read just random crap that I see and pick up. I haven’t had that luxury in a LONG time because of college and then reading for my library. It’ll be my Mother’s Day gift to myself in May. Anywho, you’re here for the list, right?


1. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

I’m not sure if you have heard, but some weird place called Hollywood decided to turn this into a small, independent film. I should probably reread this barely-known book that is yet to manage to really take off, popularity-wise.

2. Hounded by Kevin Hearne

This is one of my favorite books in one of my favorite series that I never gush about. Tricked, the fourth installment in the Iron Druid Chronicles, is being released in April, and I should reread the series to get ready for it. *squee*

3. The Magic of Recluce by L. E. Modesitt, Jr.

This is the first book in one of the best epic fantasy series out right now. There is not a lot of violence, and the characters are all so very endearing. I have probably read this book at least ten times, and I’m good for at least three dozen more rereads. I probably won’t get to TMoR this spring because it would cause me to reread the entire series, too. I wish I had the time, but I’ve already given up television, and I’m not quitting my job.

4. The Gunslinger by Stephen King

I haven’t read the first book in The Dark Tower series in at least nine years. I finished The Dark Tower when it came out in 2004. I still think of Roland all the time. It’s time for Mama to go back and visit her literary crush.

5. A Spell for Chameleon by Piers Anthony

The Hobbit may have inspired my love of reading, but Piers Anthony made me obsessed with it. It was his books that would make the class pet/goody-two-shoes skip school to be at the bookstore on release day. This is the first book in his beloved Xanth series, and I’d like to go back home sometime and revisit the scenery. Yes, kittens, Xanth will always be home to me.

6. A Touch Morbid by Leah Clifford

I have had the sequel to A Touch Mortal sitting in my house FOR OVER A MONTH, and I have not read it yet because of obligations. It is making me bitter, but it’s my own fault for allowing myself get behind. I just really really really really really want to read this. Yesterday.

7. A Game of Thrones by George R. R. Martin

I tried to listen to the audiobook of this, but I find thick British accents distracting when it’s one actor voicing several characters. I need to read the actual book because I won’t let myself watch the television series until I do. And, hello?! It’s epic fantasy! My. Favorite. Genre.

8. Harbinger by Sara Wilson Etienne

I want to read a stand-alone book so bad, it’s disgusting. Plus, the synopsis for this is absolutely fascinating. I have the book sitting on the back of my couch, waiting for me to be naughty and pick it up. *stares at it*

9. Scholar by L. E. Modesitt, Jr.

This installment in Modesitt’s Imager series somehow managed to evade me. I have been peeved ever since I noticed that this happened, and I will be annoyed with myself until this book is in my brain. Plus, the fifth one is coming out in May! è Cue massive freakout.

10. Catherine the Great by Robert K. Massie

Before all else, whether I like it or not, I am a historian wannabe. I study history, I devour history. I live history. If I say otherwise, I’m lying. This has been the last twelve or so years of my life. So when I tell you that a non-fiction book excites me, you had better hope that you’re not standing in front of it when I decide to make the mad dash to grab it. And friends, I’ve been wanting this book for quite some time. Catherine the Great has always made me giggle because she is so AWESOME, and I hope this biography does her justice.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Blog Design By Use Your Imagination Designs With Pictures from Pinkparis1233
Use Your Imagination Designs